What is life without a challenge or three 😉 Its been a busy start to the new year. Hubby has gone back to work, and the nanny is still on leave. I am running around like a headless chicken entertaining the 3 kids, getting them fed 3 times a day and getting all the housework done. This means I haven’t had any time to sew yet this year. But I’ve juggled and doubled up on the tasks I could. I even took the kids on an outing yesterday. All to make sure I will have some sewing time today.
Now onto my sewing challenges for the new year…..
First up the 2018 Ready to Wear Fast
Late in December I came across the 2018 RTW FAST challenge by Sarah Gunn from Good Bye Valentino via the Capsule Wardrobe Sew Along facebook group. I’ve been wanting to convert to a Capsule Wardrobe for a while. So decided that this challenge was just what I needed to make me finally commit to this.
What exactly does this challenge entail? Well basically you undertake to not buy any clothes during the next year, but rather to sew them yourself. There are some exceptions like your wedding dress, underwear, shoes and accessories but the rest you gotta make or do without 😉
What have I done to prepare for this challenge….?
- Read up a lot on planning a capsule wardrobe and started a Pinterest board with ideas
- Decided on two basic colour schemes to start with. One to see me through the rest of our summer / autumn and the other to start in autumn and go into the beginning of winter
- I’ve gone through my fabric stash to find fabrics in the colours I plan on using for my capsule. And I’ve purchased a few more pieces of matching fabrics as well.
- Started going through the patterns I own to see which ones will work for what I am planning. I have been using mostly PDF patterns lately but decided to pull out my box of paper patterns and use some of my favourites from there as well
- I’ve realised that I don’t have that much clothes in my cupboard and even less that I actually wear. This means that I need about 6 tops & at least 3 bottom pieces to make a capsule work
Second is the 52 week sewing challenge
This challenge runs on a Facebook Group with the same name. It requires you to commit to sewing at least one item every week of 2018. Each week there is a challenge for an item to make and then you have the option to accept the challenge (or not). The 1st weeks challenge was something soft or warm. I have submitted the last 5 pillows for our patio benches from my previous post as my entry. I have all 12 pillows done now and only need to finish the covers for the seats.
As a result of these challenges I’ve got a lot of sewing to do. Finally I’ve also set myself a personal challenge to post more on the blog. Can one person have too many challenges?
What are you planning for 2018? Please share with us in the comments?