In 2017 our lives were a bit crazy. We thought we would never move from our house which we’ve spent 6 years renovating and setting up the way we liked it. We needed a bit more space, but we had plans on getting that. It would just take some time. Then suddenly out of nowhere an advert for a house came across hubby’s facebook feed. We looked at the pictures and loved what we saw but when viewing it, it just wasn’t love. Then the what-ifs came knocking and we ended up viewing quite a few places. We found a place we really loved, it had enough room inside and out. AND I would have my own sewing room and wouldn’t need to share the study with hubby anymore.
The end of an era
We put in an offer and started packing. It was crazy to see HOW MUCH STUFF we had!! Mostly because we’ve always been planning on extending our current place, so we kept what we thought we could use again. We had to rent a storage unit to get stuff out so that we could show our place better to potential buyers. It was really sad to pack up and say goodbye to the house we’ve given so much love to and which had so many memories. We didn’t end up selling and will be visiting it on occasion so its not all lost for now.
The beginning of a new adventure
On the 31st of October our new house registered, and we officially moved in on the 6th of November. Unfortunately I haven’t really had much time to sew since then. It has taken a tremendous amount of time to unpack and find a place for everything. By the end of November, I only had my cupboards up in the sewing room and most of the fabric unpacked but my machines were still in their boxes.
During the first two weeks of December my stepdad made us 2 benches for the patio. These needed pillows I found 3 very pretty ones with humming birds on at Builders Warehouse. The rest of the readymade pillows were unfortunately crazy expensive and I decided I would buy pillow-inners and make covers myself. We got foam for the seats which needed to be covered as well.
Off to the fabric store we went. After a long search I found something I liked, and which matched with the humming bird pillows. I settled purple stripes for the seats, a solid green for half of the pillows and a multi-colour velour striped fabric for the other lot.
Late in December I finally took my sewing machine and overlocker out of their boxes, I missed these friends so much. We started on the pillows and they are not quite done yet but I think they look awesome. At the moment we are using some substitute foam that is covered already for the seats. But I plan on finishing everything by mid-January.
Feel free to share your 2017 projects with us in the comments.
I hope everyone will have a very blessed 2018